Sunday, March 7, 2010

Basics

Supper club is back on, after several weeks of sick kids.  At my house, which is good and bad.  Good because it lets me cook, bad because it means I have to do dishes.  I had planned to have one of my guy friends over to start testing out my sandwiches this week, but that fell through.  So the loaf of bread I bought was going stale.  Solution: Bread Pudding!  And I had a whole chicken in the freezer that I must have bought on a whim.  I don't know why, since I don't cook or eat whole chicken.  But with those left overs I had enough inspiration.  The recipes and cooking techniques were pretty basic.  Roast chicken and bread pudding (a version of stuffing) don't get more straight-from-the-farm than that.

The meal was great.  And it made the apartment smell wonderful.  I cooked without recipes again, so I was pretty happy that it all turned out so well.  Especially since I guessed on the time it would take the chicken to cook.  But the chicken turned out perfectly golden brown, the potatoes that I used as a roasting rack, since I didn't have one, absorbed the butter very nicely.  And the pan sauce was very rich, perhaps due to all the butter I used to baste the chicken......

In all, I think it was a hit.  Especially since chicken and mushroom-based things are the stand-bys for the Condon household and of course everything is better with bacon.

Herb Butter Roasted Chicken over Potatoes and Onions
1 whole chicken
1/2C Butter
2T Thyme
2T Rosemary
2 Baking Potatoes - cut into 2in squares or larger
1 Whole Onion - cut into quarters, root still attached
1C White Wine
2C Chicken Stock

Mix butter, herbs, 1t Salt, 1/2t Pepper together.

Mushroom Bacon Bread Pudding

Will finish later.....  Time to go play with the baby!

No comments: