Saturday, January 16, 2010

Soup.......again

I'm trying to lose weight.....again.  This is just residual returns from the procreation event.  See?  Doesn't that sound better than baby weight?  But whatever you want to call it, it calls for a reduced amount of the things I love the most, bread, cheese, wine, and anything fatty.  So, in an attempt to provide myself with something quick to eat so I won't reach for the really tasty bleu cheese and spicy fruit mustard on brioche toasts, I'm making soups.  I hate soups with chunks in them, usually called stews, but I even don't like the soups with small chunks in them like Minestrone and Italian Wedding Soup.  I don't know why.  It's probably because my mother loves them.  I seem to be hard-wired to dislike anything my mother likes.  Which probably isn't bad for Charlotte if she turns out the same way.  I eat pretty unhealthy stuff, so if she's like my mom, she'll be fine.  Anyway, in an effort to eat healthy I'm working on creamy soups.  The first that I tried was the butternut squash soup which was not good, the next was a carmelized leek and potato soup which was ok except that I gagged on an un-pureed piece of leek and couldn't stomach any more of it.  Hopefully I can in a while, it was a really good soup, except for the nearly choking and having to pull something half-masticated out of my throat.  But, I press on, undaunted by the first failures (or just too hard-headed to admit defeat) and I set out to make fennel potato soup and bacon and white bean soup.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

I'm also going to make brioche.  I figure that if I crave it, and I make it as opposed to just buying it, the calories are awash.  I know, not really sound rationale.  But at least it will make me realize what's in it, slave over it, and I won't feel as guilty about eating it.  I'm also going to do them in rolls so that I am forced to eat in portion amounts as opposed to cutting myself "a couple slices" and consuming a half loaf in one sitting.  I'm not exaggerating.  I really can eat a half loaf of brioche in one sitting.  Without much effort.

I'm going out to dinner tonight, so I'm hoping that will be fun.  Not sure about the restaurant, I haven't been there yet.  But Jim always picks the best restaurants, so I'm sure it will be good.  And it is a Wein Stube, so of course there will be wine which make a perfectly lovely dinner by itself :)  Actually, that is the name of my second cookbook "Dinner is Poured", the name of my first one is the name of this blog.  Ok, so they aren't really published or anything, but I'm writing them with the help of an online cookbook making company that will organize your recipes for you.  I still haven't pulled the trigger and bought the cookbook yet.  I have it waiting there for me, and I'm adding to the second one.  I guess I keep getting caught up in making the chapters even, and making sure there is the right mix of recipes in there, and going over it over and over again making minor tweaks.  What's my problem?  Am I some sort of over-zealous engineer?

No comments: