Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lunchtime

Well, luckily not many people know about this blog, so I can write what I am actually doing. Right now I'm having a lovely Tuscan Bean Salad and fruity, but not too sweet Spanish rose. I wanted to have the white Chianti but it wasn't chilled yet. Oh, and its lunchtime. On a Tuesday. If I were actually in Tuscany, as opposed to just dreaming about it, I'm sure my waiter and lunch partners would just shrug and order grappa. That's one of the things I like about Europe, no stuck-up old biddies to scold me about alcohol consumption at lunch, while they down cheetos and a diet coke........because they are trying to lose some weight yet won't take a parking space any further away from the office than the second row.

Speaking of American verses European eating habits, I'm sure I shouldn't be so critical. And there is something to be said about a straight-from-the-deep-fryer Krispy Kreme dougnut, which is in fact pretty close to a religious experience. But I tend to think of those things as special events, not every-day happenings. Kind of like mind-blowing sex on the beach. You have to have a varied diet to really enjoy the mind-blowing and unique experiences when they come along....... Are we talking about sex or food? And does it matter?

Anyway, I've decided to try to make Charlotte's baby food now so that she gets used to eating real food and I get used to cooking for both of us, or three of us in about a year. The first attempts were rice pudding and butternut squash risotto. The rice pudding was ok. I'm not a fan of rice pudding, but the consistency was right and she seems to like it. Especially with fruit. The butternut squash is too sweet for my taste, but Charlotte seems to like it. And I got some more parmigiano cheese, so that should help my portion get a little more earthy. I don't think she needs anything extra.

Well sex to baby food. That was a pretty crappy transition. But like I said in my profile, I'm a terrible writer. So ignore this post if you like. I'm going for my second glass of this lovely rose and perhaps I will have a more eloquent post later. But for now I'm going to dream of something strong, of a perfect age and structure, something deep, rich, and slightly leathery, and something earthy, dark, and very expensive........ Again, are we talking about sex or food?





ps. The above three things, while they do describe someone I'd very much like to enjoy a carnal dish or two with, they also describe my impulse buys at the Markthalle today...... 3 year aged parmigiano reggiano cheese, a nicely aged Tuscan red wine, and a black truffle. Here's to doing both well........

No comments: