Monday, January 18, 2010

Complicated vs. Flawless

I think I'm beginning to believe that complicated food done well is about equal to simple food done flawlessly.  For example, I made brioche today.  Well, actually it took me 2 days with all the rising, kneeding, chilling, kneeding, rising, shaping, rising, backing.  And it was very very good.  About 100 times more effort than regular bread based on the milk, eggs, and butter that usually aren't in bread.  I think if a loaf of french bread and a wedding cake had a love-child it would be brioche.  Soft and supple, slightly sweet, and infinitely decadent.  The rolls I made were very good.  Definitely the best rolls I've ever made.  But I still need something a little more decadent for this brioche.  I think I'm going to turn it into a loaf, with apricot jam and a touch of cinnamon rolled into the middle like cinnamon raisin bread (but no raisins to mar the silky texture, just sweet jam and hint of savory cinnamon).   Wow, now I'm really excited about it.  I think I'm going to go take a shower and put this plan into action.  That sounds way more interesting than sitting here writing to you, no offense.  I'm just kind of a hands-on person.  That's probably why I don't have many blog readers and I don't do updates very often.  Oh well, go have some more coffee, read a good book, and check back in a little while later and I'll let you know how it goes putting apricot jam on a loaf of bakers heaven.



No comments: