Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanksgiving Take 1

The Swedes came, we had a lovely dinner, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with how it came out. My one complaint is that the stuffing wasn't what I wanted. It was made with whole wheat bread, which just goes to show that I'm not one for health food. But below is the menu, and while it was pretty traditional, some of it was executed perfectly:

Turkey rubbed with Herb Butter
Green Onion Gravy
Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce
Pop-overs
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Fudge Pie

I was most impressed with the cranberry sauce, gravy, and the turkey. I had never made a turkey before, but luckily T helped me with it. The gravy was beautiful and silky, the cranberry sauce had a really nice zing, and the whole evening was perfect. Luckily my friend also came to bring a little light-hearted sarcasm to the dinner. I wonder if she will ever catch on that I bribe her with food because I'm just not that entertaining of a hostess?

Oh well, my first attempt at Thanksgiving was a pretty good success. And I liked working on it. Sometimes traditional can be the best.

No comments: