Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Carrot Salad

Its one of those mornings.  You know those mornings.  Where everything goes wrong.  And just when you think you have everything straight and are starting to get some traction to the day you realize you left your ID at home and have to drive back through rush hour traffic....... making you more than an hour late.  Yup, its one of those days.  So I'm taking a quick breather to collect me thoughts, perhaps even my wits, that is if there are any left.  I'm beginning to think my wits have taken a hiatus.  I hope they are having fun wherever they are.  Coming home did give me an opportunity to make myself a shredded carrot salad that I'm loving right now.  Its actually coleslaw, but I haven't shredded any cabbage, just carrots.  I made it for Easter Sunday at a friends place, and there were some carrots and dressing left over.  Since i'm trying to cut down on processed carbs (I say as I put an Eggo waffle in my mouth......), its good to find a salad that I like.  I'm not a big fan of veggies.  But for Charlotte's sake I need to get better at eating veggies.  I'm reading my second book about having a whole food diet and how it is so much better for you.  How do I attract these books?  I didn't buy either of them, they were both gifts.  Something is attracting these books to me.  Ah well, may as well read them and try to eat better.


I'll start with the carrot salad for lunch and perhaps some cabbage rolls for dinner.  We'll see.....


Blue Cheese Coleslaw 

  • 3 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons celery seed
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 15 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
  • 4 green bell peppers, sliced thinly
  • 4 carrots, grated
  • 2 cups shaved onions
  • 4 cups blue cheese, crumbed
Mix all ingredients together.  Or, make dressing, and add to whatever shredded veggies you have.  A la Emily's Shredded Carrot Salad (omit blue cheese for Carrot Salad).  I made half for Easter dinner with 10 people.  This recipe makes A LOT of salad.

No comments: