Friday, March 14, 2008

Stars and Stew

The 3-star general was in town, so everyone has their proverbial panties in a wad. It wasn't that bad, but it made me feel very young, and rather like an outsider. The culinary highlight was an authentic shrimp boil. And while it was good (shrimp, potatoes, corn, and anduille sausage, what's not to like?), I don't really see the appeal. But I went. I feel very strange being at those things. I know I'm welcome, and its kind of an ego boost to know that all I have to do is ask for something and people will help me, its also strange to be at T's work.

We also went out to one of the local seafood places on Shem Creek, T's senior staff and spouses were all invited. That wasn't bad, but I got to sit next to the general and it was really clear that he didn't want to talk to me, that I was way too young, and how dare I have a career instead of suplicating myself at the feet of T's prestigous rise to fame and fortune as an officer. Well, I guess that's a little mellow-dramatic. But it was still strange to be in that situation.

As a break from the culinary discussions, I do want to say that I am really proud of T and think he has a great career. He is a wonderful leader, and I love to hear about what he is doing. And of course I want to be supportive. I just feel strongly that supportive doesn't have to be keeping a clean house and making sure there is dinner on the table, I feel that supportive can also mean being a backboard to toss ideas against, a non-judgemental listener, and a different perspective. I guess that also means that sometimes dinner isn't hot and the house isn't clean. But I think we have a pretty darn good arrangement.

Well, time to go pack for another trip to Tampa. Luckily the food is good there

No comments: