Thursday, June 28, 2007

Change of Command

My husband, T., took command of his district today. It was a very nice ceremony, with the longest receiving line ever. And while I did enjoy it very much, it was an interesting change of events to be "someone's wife" for the first time. Everyone was very nice, and very welcoming. But it is quite a shift from being an engineer, solo career, go anywhere in the world to being the commander's wife, in pearls and working on making the right social scene and impression. But it will be a good experience, I think. T did such a great job of being supportive and making me feel like I was a partner not an accessory. It makes me so happy to have such an amazing husband.

The flip side of the experience was that his parents were here, staying in our new house that isn't quite ready for guests yet. I was so nervous about the change of command, and them being here, and other family coming that I have been feverishly cleaning out my fridge by making random dishes out of extra ingredients. Below is the Hollandaise recipe that I made from my Grandmother's cooking school cook book. It made me feel a little better to be holding her cookbook and making something that she probably would have made (she made the richest food I've ever had). It made me feel like even if it was just through a worn, tattered cookbook, I had a constant connection with my history and it made me feel just a little more grounded.

And of course, successfully creating a beautiful hollandaise sauce made me feel successful. I might not get the big contract, but I can make some darn good buttery sauces!

Hollandaise
4 egg yolks
1 C butter
2 T Lemon juice
pinch salt
pinch pepper
2 pinches chipotle pepper

Whip egg yolks by hand until light yellow. Place in double boiler with 1/2 cup of butter. Wisk until smooth. Wisk in the rest of the butter until smooth. Wisk in salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper. Serve or refrigerate until use.

No comments: