Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Crummy Stuff

I know, I haven't written in a while.  It's taken me a while to get back on this particular horse.  Partially because Trey is on a diet, and partially because he spent six weeks in New York after Sandy doing clean-up.  Which, as my sister-in-law pointed out, means I should never have to worry about making garbage pick-up again because he is an expert at taking out the trash now.  And of course while he was gone I subsisted on micro-waved soybean patties, chardonnay, and whatever is left on my kid's plate when she's finally convinced me she would prefer to watch Dora the Explorer than eat dinner.  The one cooking episode while he was gone was when my family came to visit me for a week.  I decided to make Thanksgiving dinner for them, about 2 weeks early.  My brother can't eat glutin, and my sister-in-law is a vegetarian.  Hmmmmm.......soooooo........ peanut butter for dinner?  Well, turns out my sister-in-law does eat some meat, and there are lots of glutin-free substitutions you can make (yup, that was me at Whole Foods scowling over the ingredient list of flour, I bet you walked by and thought "lady, its flour, what else are you expecting in the bag?").  We ended up having a great dinner.  Turkey turned out wonderful, bathed in herb butter of course.  The mashed potatoes and gravy were pretty standard.  The mac-and-cheese was great, despite being made from glutin-free pasta, perhaps it was the sheer volume of cheese and butter.  And the two deserts, pumpkin pie and flour-less chocolate cake, were a big hit.  The best part though was that I made homemade stuffing from a dried french-bread loaf which, in my opinion, was a little soggy.  But it was all worth it when my 3-year-old nephew asked "can I have more of Auntie Em's crummy stuff?"

Recipes to come when I have some free time.......  Perhaps in a few years........


No comments: