Friday, October 1, 2010

Anything Can be Fried

I'm endeavoring to cook and server Charlotte healthy, balanced meals.  And since she isn't a multi-course kind of girl yet, I'm trying to get veggies, proteins, grains, and calcium into 1 dish foods.  I can now see why casseroles are a favorite with midwest-raised mothers.  You can put it all in 1 dish, bake it, and serve it out of the same dish.  While that is a great concept, I still have nightmares about going to potluck dinners in Minnesota and seeing nothing but casseroles smothered in Cream of Mushroom soup.  White, unidentifiable mounds.......kind of like the house-high snow drifts outside.  I still shudder at the memory.

Tuna noodle casserole is a pretty good combo of protein, calcium, grains, and veggies if you do it right.  In my continued refusal to make casseroles, I made a version on the stove.  Ramen noodles (minus the flavor pack), tuna, cream sauce, cheddar cheese, and diced up green beans.  It turned out pretty good, and Charlotte even ate some of it that first night.

Looks like she takes after me in the leftover department.  I hate leftovers.  Not sure why.  Maybe it goes back to casseroles being served over and over again.  Regardless, I have a hard time enjoying something reheated.  And just like me, Charlotte refused to eat the tuna noodle stuff the second night.  But with so much of it left I didn't want to throw it away.

Like any good American, I figured out how to fry it.  By throwing in a little more cheese, rolling sections into balls, breading them, and then frying in oil I got deep fried tuna noodle casserole.  It wasn't too bad. And Charlotte ate it, which was the point.  Not a recipe worth repeating or posting.  But good concept I suppose.  Assuming you aren't concerned about colesterol, weight gain, or general health....

No comments: