Monday, January 21, 2008

Unfun Party Planning

I am planning an un-fun party. We are planning a cocktail party for T's office, or at least the 20-30 that he deals with the most. And I actually hope that they will have fun, but as T is the boss, this falls into the "mandatory fun" type of events that people go to not because they enjoy them but because they have to. Since we didn't get a chance to do a holiday party (neither Christmas nor New Years nor any other December-scheduled event that the EEO trouble-makers keep complaining is getting second-fiddled), we are going to have a Chinese New Year party. It allows us to welcome people into the new year, kind of, and avoids any "you are discriminating against the Unity celebration for Zimbabweans on Dec 22."

As this is going to be, we estimate, 40-50 people this will be the biggest party I have ever thrown. I'm considering renting glassware and plates, so that I don't have to do paper. But not sure yet. And while I love Asian food, of many kinds, I don't think this crowd will be particularly fond of things like whole fish cooked in salt, squid appetizers, or duck tongues, which my friend insists are known to bring longevity and contain lots of antioxidants.

So, planning is still in progress, so I'll let you know what we decide. I'm starting to experiment. Or, I would experiment if the kitchen wasn't so dang cold. So instead I'll watch FoodTV, make some notes, and get ready for my trip next week. Any ideas on what types of food one would make for the year of the rat?.......ratatouille?

No comments: